Agricultural building architecture
Often a barn conversion means starting with a blank canvas, a draughty building with few windows and large doors. Taking a brief from a client is the beginning of an exciting architectural journey, focusing on key spaces, bringing light, function and warmth to a building that once was closed in.
Barns give an amazing opportunity to personalise and shape the style of finishes, work to deliver the spaces a family may need and create a really rather unique home. As architects we share our knowledge and experience in building structure, materials, planning policy and crucially useful functional space. A barn conversion may or may not require full planning approval, it can sometimes be fall under Part Q permitted development, if so the list of proposed services below will vary slightly, this will be highlighted during an initial consultation.
- Initial Consultation to view the barn, looking at architectural options and the surroundings.
- Team Introduction meet our team of designers and confirm the brief.
- Heritage Statement (this will apply only to listed buildings) prepare heritage statement to support the listed building application
- Concept Design design and prepare sketch scheme options based on your brief for discussion with you
- Developed Design refine the preliminary scheme to obtain your approval and begin preparing documents for the planning application process
- Technical Design prepare a set of 1:50 scale general arrangement drawings and a set of construction notes and submit a full Building Regulation Application to Building Control. Here we will introduce our sister company BSF Consulting Engineers to provide the calculations and details
- Tendering & Construction preparation of construction drawings, drawn details and a specification of works to fully describe the proposals suitable for contractors to accurately price on a like for like basis, and further to prepare and administer a building contract between you and your preferred contractor.
James Clague Architects work with self builders, developers and land owners to covert both small and large agricultural barns across Kent, Sussex and Surrey. Or in more modern terms tiny home to grand design. Talk to the team about making a new home, holiday let or small development.
Our team of specialist architects offer a completely free and no-obligation telephone consultation to discuss your project, explain the process and how we can help.