Listed Building Architects For Kent and Sussex
The team at James Clague are heritage and conservation specialists who can assist with building projects including works to grade I, II* and II listed buildings. Our local knowledge spans the unique styles seen across the south east region understanding the history and heritage of the buildings we work with and quickly developing suggestions for the way to achieve a client's goals. As no one building or client is the same we are able to offer a staged process outlined below:
- Initial Consultation to view your house / site to understand your requirements.
- Heritage Feasibility & Appraisal to provide informal advice for alterations and additions to a listed building (including pre-purchase of a listed building or non-designated heritage asset).
- Team Introduction meet our team of designers and heritage specialists to confirm the brief.
- Historic Building Surveys (level 1-3 in accordance with Historic England)
- Archaeological Assessment to assess the viability and sensitivity of the potential archaeology within the setting of a historic site.
- Heritage Statement / Heritage Impact Assessment to support the listed building application and for sites within the setting of a heritage asset.
- Concept Design design and prepare sketch scheme options in consideration with the heritage constraints and opportunities.
- Developed Design refine the preliminary scheme to obtain your approval and begin preparing documents to support the listed building and planning application process.
- Technical Design prepare a set of 1:50 scale general arrangement drawings and a set of construction notes and submit a full Building Regulation Application to Building Control. Here we will introduce our sister company BSF Consulting Engineers to provide the calculations and details
- Repair / Methodology statement to satisfy conditions of planning (if required).
- Tendering & Construction preparation of construction drawings, drawn details and a specification of works to fully describe the proposals suitable for contractors to accurately price on a like for like basis, and further to prepare and administer a building contract between you and your preferred contractor.
Not every period building is listed, Kent and Sussex have numerous un-listed period properties that also benefit from our deep understanding of the building methods used, local planning restrictions (especially across the AONB's and article 4 conservation areas) and our desire to work with clients to create spaces and buildings that work for them. Weatherboard clad cottages and Victorian villas are prevalent in the south east and offer excellent starting points for extensions, remodelling and new leases of life.
Our team of specialist architects offer a completely free and no-obligation telephone consultation to discuss your project, explain the process and how we can help.